Re: [T3] Help! '68 Sqback Timing Problem (long)

On 11 Jan 2003 at 22:06, Dave Hall wrote:

> Timing on TDC (the left-hand mark of the four) is OK for Fuel Injection (engine
> number starts U...), but wrong for twin-carb (number starts T....), which is
> timed on the next mark to the right (7.5 BTDC).

This depends on the dist he's got. I believe he implied that he was using the
original FI dist, so the timing he's using is at least close.

> Retarded ignition would explain lack of power.  Check the vacuum
> advance can works OK too, while you're there. I'm not sure if that
> distributor has any centrifugal advance - I think maybe not, but Jim
> will put me right.

A FI dist would have a vacuum can, but there's no way to use it with the
Webers. Any attempt to use it would only result in the advance working the
wrong way, hence counterproductive.

> Some dismiss the retard of 3 degrees on the distributor cam for cyl 3 as
> nonsense (or only used for pre-doghouse fan-housings on Type 1 engines).  I
> don't know if anyone ever bothered to put the timing light on no.1 and no.3 to
> see if there's any difference in the firing point.

I've done it often (with FI dists) and never seen any effect. There's always
some noise in the timing, but I think I would have been able to notice 3 deg,
not sure, though.

The Bill Fisher book says that he was never able to find a dist with this
retard.