Re: [T3] gen/VR issues... part 27

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 12:40, Toby Erkson wrote:

> Also, would somebody please explain how the generator idiot light SYSTEM
> works?  Brian's car does not have an idiot light so that terminal on the
> regulator is open.  I was wondering if we could put a test light on that and
> how to wire it.

The idiot light works as follows.
Apply voltage to one side of the bulb.
Connect the other side of the bulb to the terminal on the regulator.
When the system is NOT charging, The light is grounded thru the VR.
When the system is charging, you have the same voltage on both sides of
the bulb, so the light goes out.
You do not need any of the wiring at the dash for the charging system to
work, unless there is an ampmeter in the dash. circuit.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)