Re: [T3] yellow crud on dipstick

On 11 Jan 2003 at 0:05, Parker-Durost wrote:

>     Three weeks ago when checking my oil I noticed a yellow, sorta
> foamy, slick crud on the inside cap portion of the dipstick.  I cleaned
> it off, and two weeks later it was back again.  What is it?  This is a
> daily driver, with the engine getting up to temp. on the 7 mile commute
> every day.  I've had the car for 6 years now and never seen this.  I was
> about a half quart low at the time.

It's just an emulsion of oil and water. The water is the natural byproduct of
combustion. You see this here because the weather is cool and the engine has
not gotten hot enough to drive off the moisture which gets past the rings. It's
pretty common to see this, in any car, but it would not be there in warm
weather, or if your engine got completely warmed up.

In your case, the heads and crankcase are probably getting warm, but the top of
the dipstick is a long way from the heat source and this is a cool area where
water and oil vapor can readily condense.