Re: [T3] AT Pan Gasket

On 9 Jan 2003 at 3:49, Darvin Gomez wrote:

> Anyway.... Since it was sitting a big puddle of ATF has accumulated.  I was
> able to get a pan gasket after calling around..... it looks like it is made
> out of the same stuff that that valve cover gaskets are made of (cork and
> rubber).  Is this the right one????  Also, it appears the previous owner
> applied that orange silicone stuff all around the gasket it has on right
> now..... do I need to put some of that stuff on too???  And finally, how
> tight do the bolts have to be when I put them back in??

The gasket requires no sealant, but leaks are common there because the margin
of the pan has been deformed from overtightening. If yours had been deformed it
can be straightened with a good vise or a press, some perseverence, and some
care. I don't recall the torque spec, but it is small and listed in the Bentley
manual. I assume you have one.