[T3] question about hole in front bumper

Howdy all!

I'm new to the list, so let me say it's great to join the ranks of the Type
3 crowd.

I recently purchased a '65 Notchback from a fellow in Long Island, NY (as
seen recently on thesamba.com).

My question pertains to a small ¹ inch square hole, obviously for a carriage
bolt, located on the driver's side of the front bumper just below the turn
signal. There is not one on the passenger's side. Since the notch was
brought over from Germany by a U.S. military doctor, I'm assuming the hole
is for mounting an external horn, such as a Bosch Supertone, for use on the
Autobahn. There is another Notch in a junkyard here in South Carolina with
an identical hole in the bumper, so it appears to be fairly common. Any help
in solving my mystery would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff Styles