Re: [T3] T3PBO ... take 2

On 8 Jan 2003 at 17:31, Ben Doughney wrote:

> on 8/1/2003 2:28 AM, Big Al at Big.Al@HVWC.net wrote:
>
> > Ben is OBVIOUSLY a MAC owner!   8D
>
> Yes, and proud of it! ;-)
>
> >> Under the registration section, if we work out the production date using the
> >> instructions on Dave Hall's site, good enough?
> >> (http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/dating.htm)
> >
> > I originally intended for the info to come from strictly the official
> > Birth Certificate...  but for the 68+ models, Dave's production plate
> > method will work fine... if people can ACCURATELY translate it.
>
> OK, fair enough. I will have to go and work mine out so I can put it on the
> register.

I wonder if cars built "down under" follow the same rules, or even if they have
that same plate. If they do, were they dated when the bodies were made in
Germany, or when the cars were assembled in Austrailia?

For that matter, I assume that the date on the plate on the German cars was
actually the date that the body was assembled, because that plate is painted
over. It seems to me that the assembly date of the car would have been later by
quite a bit and could have varied considerably.

I suspect that these cars came down the assembly line in VIN order, but the
bodies that were installed on the pans (which carried the VIN) could have been
grabbed in somewhat random order, depending on how they were arranged after
delivery from the body works.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org