Re: [T3] 6-volt starter bushing

> I should have said, it cranks over really slow but sometimes it sticks and
> won't crank at all (especially once it gets hot).  If I bang on the starter
> with a hammer, then it cranks over again, just slowly.

It's got to be a mechanical problem if a hammer fixers it - as in bad motor bush
in transmission, a connection not tight, brushes in bad contact with commutator,
braid from solenoid to starter crumbly, solenoid not moving freely or enough...

Usually it's the brushes not making good contact, but maybe not here if the PO
did change the starter motor.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/