Re: [T3] Fuel pump spring pressure

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 23:55, Steven Ayres wrote:
> BenD=> I thought if I measured the initial fuel pressure,
> => then took the pump apart and stretched the
> => spring, then measured again etc. I could get it
> => to the required 5psi.
>
> I'm no metallurgist, but I gotta wonder whether it's that easy. It seems to
> me that stretching a spring might weaken it and it would recompress over x
> time. I'm sure somebody here knows ....

We deal with fuel pressure springs at work. We make fuel pressure
regulators.
Fuel pressure springs pressure are controlled by the diameter of the
wire, and the length of the spring. Our springs are wound by the
manufacturer, and then ground to length to get the final acurate
pressure.
We require our suppliers to deliver the springs at +/- 1 psi.
Stretching the spring will do no good, as it will go back to its orginal
length within a short time. Now shimming the spring would be the way to
go to raise the pressure coming out of the pump.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)