Re: [T3] Swingaxle wheel bearing removal tool?

On 5 Jan 2003 at 20:42, Van A. Reuther wrote:

> Every forum I've searched advises to remove the axle nut, remove the bolts
> that secure the bearing cap and then use a brass hammer to tap the axle tube
> off.  Further claiming that the wheel bearing should come out easily.  I
> didn't want to remove shocks, undo all these components just to change out a
> wheel bearing, but I did.  And since it didn't work, I dropped the engine
> and pulled the transaxle completely out of the vehicle.

Isn't there a photo in the Bentley manual showing the official tool in use? I
think the swing axle bearings were typically VERY tight. I've watched a VW
mechanic break the official tool trying to get one out. I don't think a hammer
is the way to go, but I'm not sure. I've been blessed and never had to do one.

If the bearing is bad, I would try to break the inner race with a cold chisel.
If the bearing is good I would leave it alone.

Russ may have some better suggestions.