Re: [T3] Fuel in oil

On 5 Jan 2003 at 18:20, Keith Park wrote:

> > DanielB=> If I were to replace the fuel pump
> > => with another Brazilian one, is one made
> > => for a Beetle suitable, or do I need one
> > => specially made for a Type 3?
>
> The Brazillian ones wont hold up pressure when the car is really floored...
> but the car seems to run properly anyway...  I will do an analysis on the T3
> one I have in the spring.

I remember working thru the numbers on this and being surprised at the results.
I'm sure that I concluded that it made a significant difference. But now that I
think about it again I'm sure that I would have needed more data to do a good
analysis.

The real question is, "How much will the fuel level drop if the pressure is at
the type 1 level?" To do that calculation I would need the area of the float
valve, the area of the float, and the mechanical advantage that the float has
on the float valve. I could have guessed at the first one, but I'm sure I don't
know the latter 2. Someone who understands the problem and has one of these
carbs in front of him will have to work this out.

It's important not to confuse flow with pressure in this problem, or to assume
that more pressure will lead to proportionally more flow.