Re: [T3] Fuel in oil

> > Anyway, he doesn't agree with the idea that fuel is leaking through the
> > carbs into the sump. The only way this could happen, he says, is if my
> > piston rings are worn, which he does not believe to be the case, as the
> > engine doesn't burn oil. If petrol was leaking from the carbs, it would
> > accumulate in the cylinder. Some of you have sounded as if this is what
you
> > think too. This accumulation of petrol would cause pressure in the
cylinders
> > which would burst the head, bend a rod, or whatever, as has been
mentioned
> > in previous postings.
>
> Gas CAN leak past the rings slowly, it just can't get past them quickly.
Most
> people don't realize that the rings only seal partly because of the
cylinder
> pressure. They don't make very good seals at all if they are standing
still,
> the gas can leak around their backsides.

If that is the case, how would I know if one or more of my cylinder is full
of gas right now, and it is gradually seeping into the sump, bearing in mind
that the engine does seem to run pretty well, despite everything?

This actually is the thing that I find the most puzzling. While all this
petrol was accumulating in the sump from wherever, the engine carried on
regardless, and does not show signs of running rich; at least not now that I
have adjusted the carbs to some extent.

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic
http://www.qldesign.com/type34