Re: [T3] Auto Transmission

On 2 Jan 2003 at 7:04, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:

> >>Did you try it with a pressure gauge and follow the instructions in the
> Bentley manual? I realize this is quite a bit of
> >>trouble, but it can narrow down the problem. It will also tell you whether
> the VM is actually adjusted right or not.
>
> No I didn't, I did not have the equipment. But awhile back the list
> discussed the "clunking" transmission and the idea was to just give the VM a
> slight adjustment, then drive (trial and error) to see if it made a
> difference.  I just did this same thing on the off chance it would matter.

The trial and error method can work if it's already close, but if it's way off
you just really have no idea where to go. You can use a gauge that you buy at
the hardware store with a 1/8"NPT thread on it. You'll need an extension to get
into position. Once you do this you will have a better idea of where you stand.
If it WON'T adjust then you can tell whether it's too high, or too low. This
tells you something about what's happening inside your AT.