Re: [T3] 6-volt starter bushing

>How do you replace the Starter bushing on a 6-volt car ?
>I know there is a tool for the 12 volt one, but my FLAPS says that there
>isnt a 6-volt tool , what can i use?

Martin -

When we did this to Sophy at Russ's place on the way back from Parma, we
used a large common nail, a pair of vise grips and small hammer to pull the
old one, I think.  Grabbed the pointed end of the nail tightly with the vise
grips, slipped the head of the nail into the bushing hooking the head on the
backside of it, and then tapping the vise grips to pull the bushing out.  My
bushing was pretty shot so it came out pretty easy.

I believe we used the bolt that holds the starter in to tap the new bushing
back in.

If the bushing in the case is pretty shot, you might want to check the one
in the end of the starter too.  Sophy's was shot here too.  It is the same
bushing as the one in the case, but shorter.  Just install it and then
carefully file it down to fit and then debur it.

it made a world of difference with Sophy.

Later,
John Jaranson
'71 FI AT Fasty (Jane - Darkside Project)
'66 Square (Sophy - Daily Driver)
About Half a Late Square (Organ Donor)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/jaransonT3/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/notavwclub/