Re: [T3] Not quite there yet (addendum)

You're being paranoid!

Is that better?

> However, I really hope that what I thought was the
> battery not having the strength to turn the engine was not in fact the
> engine having a metal-on-metal moment and starting to seize up or something.
> The water level in the battery really was very low and after I topped it up
> things improved.

If enough fuel had got into even one cylinder, the engine would not be able to
go past TDC on that cylinder as it cannot compress the liquid fuel.   If all you
got was a click, it might have been that reason.  If it turned over, even
slowly, it probably wasn't.  Unless you tried a push-start, you almost certainly
have not done any damage.
It's rare, only happens with a mostly full tank when parked up a steep (eg 25%)
hill, and if the car doesn't have the electro-magnetic cut-off idle jets.

It's probably a red-herring, but if all the conditions were satisfied, it's
possible that was the reason.

If there is fuel in the oil, you need to change the oil.
Have you measured the total amount yet?

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/