Re: [T3] Door locks

On 2 Jan 2003 at 8:19, David Hornback wrote:

> I could not remember what happened to the orig. lock cylinders I had
> for my car, so I had to buy two used ones. They did not come w/ a key
> and were not keyed alike. I took these in and gave the locksmith my
> ign. key and he keyed both cylinders to the ign. key. So I have just
> one key. I did this and got another duplicate key for $35 and I thought
> this was a tad high. A 20 min job for most good locksmiths. So like
> Jim said $50 sounds a little steep.

I would expect rekeying 2 cylinder to take a lot more than 20 minutes. I've sat
with locksmiths while they've done this, and I would expect this to take more
than an hour. It usually takes them 20 minutes just to make a key from the code
from a cylinder, because they have to look up the code and then set up the key
cutter.

I would say that $35 is on the cheap side while $50 is steep.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org