Re: [T3] EFI gone mad (update)

On 2 Jan 2003 at 8:41, Wuzmop@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/31/2002 11:57:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, jadney@vwtype3.org writes:
>
> > Also, perhaps first, try a new # 3 plug, check the # 3 SP wire to make sure it
> > has the right resistance (same as the others,) and check both ends to make sure
> > that there's no carbon track anywhere that is short
> > circuiting the # 3 plug.
>
> I figured it out for the most part.

Another trick that is always useful when you have a cylinder that is not firing
is to use an inductive timing light and just clip it around each SP wire in
turn. You can use this to just see if spark is passing thru each wire. If you
direct the light at the pulley you can also verify that it is happening at the
right times, but note that # 1 & 3 will be at the "normal" timing mark, while #
2 & 4 will appear 180 deg "off."

> Problem #1: The plate that holds the points in the dizzy is loose. I
> couldn't set my gap. I had a spare from a bus that I put in and
> temporarliy solved that. Jim, do you rebuild distributors?

Yes, the price is $55 including a new set of points and return shipping. Minor
parts are included if needed and major parts are extra, if needed. You can send
it just for evaluation if you like.

> Problem #2: The 3 & 4 head nuts were loose. I retorqued them no problem.

It is likely that the upper ones are also loose, but they are much harder to
get to.

> Question: Now it runs a million times better, but has a hestiation in
> the low end of every gear. The valves are at .006, new points are at
> about 54, new cap,rotor,wires,plugs. I have not checked the #1 & 2
> side heads yet. The car historically runs best when the dwell is at
> 50, so I will reset them and see. Could it be an intake leak? Maybe
> the timing should be different with the bus dizzy?

The diff in dwell should not be significant, but if the breaker plate is worn
this can be a problem, mostly with irregular timing. Make sure that the cap and
rotor are genuine Bosch. Make sure the wires are good and have right angle
connectors on the dist end. The OE wires are the best, but if yours are gone
you will just have to make do.

> 1 & 2 heads loose?

Check them. Don't overtorque.

--