Re: [T3] Not quite there yet (addendum)

on 2/1/2003 2:18 PM, Dave Hall at dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk wrote:

> Without cut-off valves, if you park the car pointing up a steep hill, the fuel
> from a full tank can fill up a cylinder and cause damage when you try to
> start.
> In most other circumstances there's no problem.

I did have a problem when I first got my Fastback after I rebuilt the carbs.
I replaced the needle valves with the ones that came in the kit, but it
wouldn't run properly after. I took the carbs out and checked the valves by
blowing through them, and both seemed fine, but when I put them back
together it still wouldn't run. When I took them apart again, I noticed that
the right carb had no fuel left in it so I put the old (original) needle
valves back in again and it has run fine ever since.

In '71 the 1302S's got a little fuel cut off device to stop this happening,
later on they built a check valve into the pump- was this used on Type 3's
as well? The fuel tank on a Super is higher than on a standard beetle so
perhaps that is what they were worried about.

My Fastback is the same as Daniel's; it just has jets where the cut-offs
would usually be. I do have another set of carbs which I think are off a
later car that do have the cut offs on them. Did your carbs come with them
on in the UK?

Ben Doughney

'75 1200L
'63 1200 - Ringo