Re: [T3] Not quite there yet (addendum)

Hi all,

I just had both carbs open. I couldn't see any obvious signs of them
leaking, but then, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

What I can say is this (i don't know how relevant all of this is, but
anything could be a clue):

Both needle valves are OK

Both floats float.

The manifold/carb gasket on the right hand side was quite wet.

The fuel level in the left had carb was rather low when I opened it. The
float was resting on the bottom of the bowl.

The left hand carb's accelerator pump doesn't work. This is not because of a
leaky diaphragm, though I changed it just in case. There is a hole next to
the pipe through which the accelerator pump squirts petrol, which is
supposed to have a brass insert of some kind inside it. This is missing. All
the accelerator pump does is blow bubbles through this hole.While it may
mean that I need to replace the bottom half of this carb, I don't see how it
can be causing the leak.

I replaced the gasket on the throttle base of the right carb. It was
probably OK, but it was starting to fray a bit.

What can actually cause a carb to leak gas into the cylinders? And how can I
test the fuel pump? It's a knock-off Brazilian jobbie, BTW.

Thanks for all your help,

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic
http://www.qldesign.com/type34