Re: T3 engine out/empis

Hey all,
Been lurking in the shadows but have to give my 2 cents here.
Daniel PLEASE don't use cement or concrete stones/pads/etc. for supporting
any part of a car!!!
The possibility of crumbling is very high. It doesn't matter whether they
look solid or not-you just can't tell. If it happens there would be no
warning.
Try wood blocks(4"x 8", 2"x 6") etc, & things will be much safer.

Someone asked about the polished 8 spoke empis- they are not
chromed/anodized/or clearcoated. Just polished. IMHO the only way they will
stay the way they look in the ad is hand polishing with a fine compound (like
Mothers*) almost every two to three weeks (that's in clear dry weather)
More often if it's wet out.
Something about the Mg/Al combination that makes them prone to quick
oxidation I guess. Even tried clearcoating one as a test- & they cloud from
under the urethane.
I suppose you could try to anodize them, but you lose the brilliance of the
raw metal.

But I can tell anyone who's looking at these that just keeping the edges
looking decent wears my fingers out after polishing 4, & can't imagine doing
32 additional spokes by hand each time!
Cheers all.
Chuck Salter
'66 Square