Re: [T3] Seeking opinions on rebuild

On 21 Feb 2003 at 10:31, Roush, Norman wrote:

> 69MM counterweighted crank
> 88MM machine fit P/C
> Std heads but with some mild porting and polishing
> Std cam
> Std rods
> 1.4 rocker arms
> New case
> Std weight flywheel
> Std FI dizzy
>
> I've heard line bored cases should be avoided and standard weight flywheels
> should be used for what I need.  Is this a good combination?  Can rebuilt rods
> and cam be used with expectations of a long life?

Looks pretty good to me, except that I've had good luck with align bored cases
which had only seen normal use, not beat to death. I use RIMCO in CA and they
do a great job. I'd also keep the stock flywheel, as this makes for much better
daily driver drivability. The FI dizzy is great whether or not you have the FI.

I generally reuse my OE cams because I'm cheap and they generally seem fine. If
you really want ratio rockers you may need a special cam to work best with
them, and keep in mind that the forces on the cam and lifter go up as the ratio
goes up, so this will reduce cam and lifter lifetimes.

The 88s appear to be really good choices for PCs, and some porting of the heads
is free horsepower.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org