Re: [T3] Rain BAD (2)

> Might I have a dodgy (sorry for the anglicism but American doesn't
> have an analogous term) switch that is engaged when the car is in
> neutral and if so is there a convient place to short it to test it.

There is no such thing as an Anglicism, only Americanisms. "Dodgy" is
_English_.

It is extremely simple to short the starter inhibitor, assuming yours is
like mine. There was a later type which I have never seen. If you can start
in Park then that's what you have.

The inhibitor switch is on the wire from the starter to the ignition switch.
When it's on (shifter in neutral), the wire is connected, when the shifter
is anywhere else, the connection is cut.

Open up the shifter. The inhibitor switch is by the shifter rod on the right
hand side. The starter wire is connected to two terminals marked 50 and 50A.
Unless you have a very long, flexible neck, you'll need to take the switch
off to see which ones they are. I think they are at the REAR of the switch.
In any case, the two wires you want are the two thicker ones of the four
that are on the switch. The other two operate the reversing lights.

Anyway, join those two wires together and the starter will work in any gear.

BTW, you need to adjust the starter inhibitor switch backwards and forwards
so that the contacts on the switch line up with the contact on the shifter.
If the screws that hold the switch down are loose, it may not be lined up
properly.

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic
Email: daniel@type34.info