[T3] FW: Light Switch Operation Running vs. Headlight Q

Interesting thing I noticed the other day, quite by accident.

I was under the impression that for EuroSpec cars there were the running lights (side markers included) that would come-on
(thus the green indicator light) but once the headlight switch was pulled, the (front) running lights went out (not sure about the side markers).

Is this correct? But what I noticed was I can position my switch in such a way that the running lights stay on with the headlights on.
Was this incorporated into the switch? If it was not do I run a chance of burning out anything (switch/relay) by doing this?

With the first notch of the light switch on, the running lights are on, with the second tug the running go out(rear excluded) and the headlights come on; I have my side markers hooked up for turn signal only now. But when I get the switch in between the first and second notch, they both stay on. Which I happen to like, but found out by accident.

Any insights?

Thanks,
Dave in L.A.