Re: [T3] tachy clock

On 10 Feb 2003 at 17:12, Steven Ayres wrote:

> JimA=> I'm astonished that part of the
> => ground rules for the design wasn't that
> => common parts should be used wherever
> => possible.
>
> Have you ever compared a Type 14 with a Beetle?

No, I've worked on both, but never found them to be as interesting as the type
3s (No bias here!  ;-)

> => I'm assuming that the dash was the same
> => width on all type 3s
>
> They're really not the same *at all*, other than that the guages and
> electrical parts fit the same size holes. We also have both upper and lower
> dashpads.

I think you used the work mismanagement earlier. Sounds like you chose exactly
the right word.

It just doesn't make any sense to change things that are arbitrary anyway. Just
let one arbitrary styling decision work for the whole family. I had worked
under the assumption that Ghia did the styling, VW did the design, and Karmann
did the assembly, just because VW wasn't set up for the lower production
levels. Now I have to wonder what the real arrangement was and how it was that
VW let decisions like this get out of their control.

Mismanagement indeed!