Re: [T3] dropped spindles and the origin of fi

On 10 Feb 2003 at 0:24, phillip bradfield // circa1968 wrote:

> he told me that he thought it was developed by the bendex corp, and
> bosch bought the rights to it, but it was and still may be patented by
> bendex. anyone ever heard of this before??

I believe Bendix made the systems which were used on a few Corvettes in the
early 60s. I believe the production on these was a thousand or two, so it never
got into the area of what might be called mass production in automobiles. Thus
it is true that Bendix made the first electronci FI system, but Bosch made the
first mass produced electronic FI system.

My understanding is that there was no relation between the Bendix and Bosch
systems. I've never seen one of the Bendix systems, however. It would be
interesting to find out how they measured the air flow. I suspect that it was
likely to be a rather straightforward throttle position sensor, which would
have worked, but would not accommodate variations in barometric pressure or
altitude.

The Bosch system was developed to accommodate the emission controls that were
clearly on the horizon at the time. The Bendix system was "Darker."

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org