Re: [T3] Hooking up a Sapphire Playtape I

On 9 Feb 2003 at 12:58, Greg Merritt wrote:

> 	I recently got a Sapphire Playtape I AM radio / playtape
> player, as sold via VW dealers around 1970 or so.  Playtapes are
> kinda like mini 8-track tapes, but with only 2 tracks.
>
> 	The color-coded wires on my unit are unlabelled.  Does anyone
> know the wire assignments for this unit?  There is a light blue wire
> with medium blue stripes, a brown / brown+whitestripe pair, and a
> black wire.

A guess, based on how the other Sapphires were done:

Black is ground
Browns are to the speaker
light blue to 12V.

Usually the black wire is just bolted to the back of the chassis.

If the black actually goes inside, then it may be for a separate wire for the
panel lamp. You can open up the radio and see if both black and blue go to the
power switch. If they do, one is for radio power and the other is for the panel
lamp, which gets wired to the other instrument lamps in the dash so they dim
together. In this case, you will need to add a 5th wire to the 1/4-20 stud in
the back for ground.