Re: [T3] Type 3 Virgin

On 7 Feb 2003 at 8:00, John Baker wrote:

I trust you already realize that the 72 bus, in the US, came with a type 4
engine with 1700cc. The type 3 engine will be a bit of a step down. I don't
know what problems you may have mating the type 3 engine to the type 4
transmission, possibly none.

> My questions are: How can I identify the engine I have, where is the
> code located? It is a 1600 Dual carb (no F.I.) engine from a squareback
> but that all I know about it.

The MIN is stamped on the top of the case, just to the right of the case half
parting line. It is in different locations depending on which style engine it
started out as (single carb, dual carb, FI.) You'll have to wipe oil/dirt off
there to find it.

> One is a metal tube at the rear of the engine that goes down and elbows
> into the oil sump area, there is no cap or plug, just an open tube about
> 1 inch in diameter.

That's the oil filler pipe. The other half, and the dipstick, is still in the
body of the car that this came out of.

> Then on top of the engine is a place that looks similiar to the oil
> filler on a bus, it has one plastic cap on top about 2 inch diameter
> and a smaller metal breather tube.

That's the breather. The breather tube would have fed back to the air cleaner.

> ALso, where should I time this engine?

Depends. Let us know what kind of carbs it has on it and what distributor. Only
then can someone make an educated guess. The timing marks are on the pulley and
probably look like:   |    | | |

These three marks mean TDC, 7.5, 10, 12.5. Most of these engines were
originally timed at TDC, but with the likely change to carbs, or if the engine
is old and the carbs are original, there would be different possibilities. Let
us know what details you find.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org