[T3] Type 3 Virgin

Howdy folks, I am brand new here and I have a couple
of questions about a T3 engine I just aquired.

I am no stranger to aircooled VW's I have been
wrenching on buses and bugs for a couple of years now,
but I just got an engine from a squareback that I am
putting into a 72 bus.  My questions are: How can I
identify the engine I have, where is the code located?
It is a 1600 Dual carb (no F.I.) engine from a
squareback but that all I know about it.

Now heres a silly question, where do I put the oil in?
 I can see two places that may look like the oil
filler, but I want to be sure.  One is a metal tube at
the rear of the engine that goes down and elbows into
the oil sump area, there is no cap or plug, just an
open tube about 1 inch in diameter. Then on top of the
engine is a place that looks similiar to the oil
filler on a bus, it has one plastic cap on top about 2
inch diameter and a smaller metal breather tube.  It
looks like both tubes go into the crankcase under the
engine tin. I am sure one of these area is just a
crankcase breather, but I don't know which is which?

ALso, where should I time this engine?

Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Peace, John Baker