[T3] Suspension issues in a '71 Notch

Hi All,

I am a fairly new member to the list and I am already grateful for the
existence of it.  The wealth of information from the members is incredible.

Anyway, besides an introduction I also wanted to ask a question/advise.

I am not new to aircooled VWs (I used to own a '73 bug about 12 years ago) ,
but I am new to T3s.  I recently bought a '71 notchback, with 81,000
original miles on it,  only a few spots of surface rust, no rust in the
usual places, a straight body,  an interior that needs some TLC and a very
strong dual port 1600.  Eventually the carbs will need an overhaul.  I will
be uploading photos sometime soon.

The question I had is this:

The previous owner (a kid of about 17) lowered the suspension, too much for
my liking.  The original front wheels rub on the fender causing me not to be
able to do a full lock on turns.  The rear is not too bad, but when there
are four people in the car I bottom out (I reach the stoppers which need
replacing since they are disintegrating) in bumps.

Does anyone have a set of steps, or know of a web site, outlining the
process or lowering/lifting the front suspension?

I was told by a VW mechanic that the rear suspension is really hard to
adjust since the pressure in the torsion bar is quite strong, making it a
possible health hazard if I do it wrong.  I read in a site that if I install
heavy duty shock absorbers in the rear that it will lift the back by 1/2
inch, anybody had this experience?

Any information is much appreciated.

Regards,

Petri