Re: [T3] I smell a smelly smell

On 4 Feb 2003 at 15:04, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> OK, I finally filled the tank up and spun some leftward donuts
> (kidding).  Then I checked for leaks---I found 2.  One was right under
> the gas cap.  I think I may not have closed the cap tight enough.  The
> other leak (just a drop or two) was from the junction of the filler hose
> (the big, cloth covered hose) and the tank.  I don't see those rubber
> band thingies that Jim mentioned, but I didn't take the hose off
> because,
> A) the tank is full, and
> B) I'm afraid of gasoline.

If you have to take it apart, wait until you're down to less than 1/4 tank.
That will make everything easier. Don't smoke and don't work on this indoors. A
healthy fear of gasoline is an intelligent thing.

> I'm going to try tightening the screw on the metal band/clamp that holds
> it together, unless somebody tells me that this is a really bad thing to
> do?

It's a good thing to make sure that the clamp is good and snug. OTOH, you don't
want to tighten it down as hard as you can.  Overtightening the clamp will
damage the hose without sealing the leak.