Re: [T3] Drink Holders from BlueThunder Specialties

> Has anybody on the list purchased these drink holders?
> http://www.bthunder.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?pid=55&ppi=PID
> If so, how'd they work for you and how was BlueThunder's service?

    I got one for my Squareback for Christmas, and although I wasn't too
impressed with the construction of the part that slides into the dash
(where the ashtray would normally go), it works very well. I am definitely
going to get a couple more for my other VW's. The part that disappointed
me was that it was just a 2x4 milled down to fit inside the dash. I was
expected something a little nicer, but it is completely functional and it
seems to work well. It kind of "wedges" in there so it doesn't fall out.

    On a similar vein, after I got my cupholder, I was thinking about how
to make a better one. I got to thinking about how many cars get totaled,
parted out, or junked, and how many of those probably have a (near) mint
ashtray. The front plate (with the shift pattern on it) is removable, and a
cupholder of some sort could be attached to the front of the ashtray after
the front plate is removed. Then you could have a aesthetic, functional
cupholder, and still have the ashtray (to use as a spare change holder, of
course!). A more elegant solution for a cupholder, in my mind. And, it is
completely reversible for those lightsiders ;-). Any thoughts on the
feasibility of this idea? Has anyone done something similar to this?

------
Dan Dypsky
Ocean City, MD
'68 FI Squareback  "Jenna"