Re: [T3] automatic drive plate lock

On 3 Feb 2003 at 13:37, Daniel Baum wrote:

> BTW, I think the use of bolts to hold the wheels on rather than nuts and
> studs is a bit dumb. I can't think of any advantage, and it makes putting
> them on and taking them off more difficult.

Yes, they're harder to deal with, in normal use, but there must be some
advantage. I know Mercedes does the same thing, how about BMW? Must be a German
thing.

One advantage to this is in the late 4-bolt rear drum/hubs which get rusted
together. If you want to break these loose, just jack up and remove one tire,
put the car in gear and speed up the engine. When you slam the brakes on hard,
the hub will break free of the drum. If there were studs in there, this
wouldn't work.  ;-)

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org