Re: [T3] Weber 34's and which dizzy to use!

On 24 Dec 2003 at 21:43, tyrone@411collective.org wrote:

> Well I should have known by the horrible acceleration and gas mileage that the
> PO has a 009 in the car.....

What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

> So,  I have the Weber 34's on the otherwise stock engine,  it runs great,  but,
>  a little rich to the point of popping/backfiring a bit when I'm driving...
>
> I guess I'm wondering if this might be due to 009 AND the carbs being way
> rich...

I wish I knew what was wrong with the 009 that makes everyone hate them. Once
upon a time they were well liked. Is it possible that Bosch cheapened them up
so that now they don't work right?

> So what I want more than anything is to find out what dizzy would be a good fit
> for this engine (the stock 69 with the Weber 34's).

I really don't think that you could do any better than using a stock 68-9 FI
dist, the 311 L and leave the vacuum advance disconnected.

> And then of course I would have to retime the thing and totally readjust the
> mixture/idle settings on the carbs,  and see if that popping goes away!!!

You should start out by making SURE that the mechanical advance on your 009 is
actually working smoothly. If it's not, then fixing this will make a big
difference.

Overall, if your advance is actually working, I'd bet that most of your
problems are due to the carbs being jetted too rich.