Re: [T3] So...who got what for the holidays?

On 28 Dec 2003 at 21:07, Jason Weigel wrote:

> I guess you would have to be familiar with the type of trailer Im getting.
> Its an Allstate and not your average useful trailer. Its kind of an after
> thought of trailers, not big, not heavy. I will be lucky to get two large
> suitcases in it. It will be mounted to the rear bumper area at the brackets.
> Its not a tongue and ball type. Keep in mind that I do not use my T3s for
> daily travel nor will I use it for any useful hauling(other than me). So if
> the body, mounts or any part were fatigued in any way it shouldn't be
> because I used it allot.

Just keep in mind that the sheet metal, where the bumper brackets mount, is a
LOT thinner and weaker than the bumper brackets themselves. I'm concerned that
a lot of people take a look at those brackets and say to themselves, "Those
look plenty strong enough to me," while forgetting that they are anchored to
almost nothing.

Yes, your little trailer is cute, and there's a certain interesting aspect to a
one-wheeled trailer, but you need to keep in mind that for this kind of trailer
there bumper mounts are the ONLY thing there that's keeping the trailer from
tipping sideways. I.e. the bumper takes the usual "tongue weight" PLUS a
torsion load that depends on how even the roadway is.

I realize that I've been warning people not to attempt to tow trailers with
your type 3s for years now, and no one has ever come back and told us their sad
story of how they were so sure of themselves that they did it anyway and then
proceeded to tear the rear end off their car. I sincerely hope that this never
happens to anyone. I'd much rather be proven wrong on this time after time,
than be able to say, "I told you so."

OTOH, there may be a few such incidents out there, where the owners just
decided that the best thing would be to just not mention their personal tragedy
for everyone to see.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'll continue to warn people against towing with these
cars.