Re: [T3] advice - rebuilt t3 engines

On 16 Dec 2003 at 12:21, jason m. land wrote:

> i've got a '71 squareback that i have neglected horribly over the past
> year.  it died in february and because i had no time or money, i haven't
> done anything about it until now.  of course, the engine is now seized
> up.  i'm at a loss for what makes the most sense on how to proceed, so
> i'm seeking some clarity...

You didn't say how it "died" so that leaves a lot of questions unanswered.
Unless it actually suffered an engine failure and seized up, I wouldn't expect
the engine to be seized just from sitting. Or has it been sitting with the car
and engine open in the rain for the last year?

> should i accept my losses (perhaps as punishment for my neglect) and
> take what i can get for it for parts?  or should i look at dropping a
> rebuilt engine in? or does anyone have any thoughts on this type of
> situation?

There are some list folks near you in Seattle who might be able to help. A
commercial rebuild is possible, but expensive and not particularly reliable.
EVERYTHING about the answer to this question depends on the condition of the
engine AND the rest of the car. If it is rust free and good condition then it
is worth almost any amount of effort to get it purring again. If it is ugly and
rusting out everywhere then it's questionable. Note that "rusting out" does NOT
mean small speckles of rust peaking thru where the paint has chipped; it means
lots of holes rusted all the way thru the bodywork, especially where it's not
visible.