Re: [T3] rear window seal for notchback

On 17 Dec 2003 at 11:51, Garret Trask wrote:

> My rear window is rattling, and it's quite noisy.  I'm guessing I need a new
> rear window seal.  I've checked aircooled.net and csp-shop, but all they
> carry are "California look" seals.  Can anyone tell me the difference
> between cal-look and stock?  Also, any advice for me before I start the work
> to replace the seal?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone complaining that a rear seal had gotten so
bad that the seal needed to be replaced to fix a rattle. I could certainly be
wrong, but unless you can wiggle the window with your hands and the seal has
become rock hard, I suspect your rattle is actually somewhere else. Replacing
the seal can be difficult and carries with it the danger of breaking the
window, so this is not something to be taken lightly.

Cal Look seals lack the groove in which the aluminum brite trim is installed.
Only the OE seals (referred to as "American Style" by all the aftermarket
suppliers) will have this trim groove. If your trim is in good condition and
you're trying to keep your notch as original as possible, then you don't want
the Cal look seals.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org