Re: [T3] First one???

Martin wrote:
>Hello all-

>We have been busy here in rainy ol Portland..
>And have come up with something not yet seen on the West coast.

>We have been building motors for a few customers here (1776 and a
>1915), but our supplier no longer carries the new VW cases. We have
>switched to the Autolina all aluminum cases.

Martin, have some of their quality control issues been worked out yet? Or are
the cases still needing large amounts of machine time to correct? I've been
waiting to hear any info on these cases, as someday I'd like to use one. Also,
wow you guys have been busy. : )

>We have contact a few very respectable machine shop's and builders
>here on the west coast, to find that no one has yet built a Type3 based
>motor using the new Case....So I was wondering if any of you had?
>And if so what did you build?

I've only heard the first reports of these cases, and that was over a year
ago. Most of the complaints centered around the lack of proper machining in
places, causing some parts not wanting to work (interference issues).

>We had had a few small hick-ups that we car working to resolve...
>The main issue we encounter is the stud in the case that the oil filter
>attaches to, in the new case it is a 8mm stud, the VW oil cooler is a
>6mm hole. There were a few step studs floating around but low and
>behold they are not long enough to work.

This is because the case was set up for a type1, which uses the 8mm stud for
the oil cooler adapter (dog house style).

>We had thought about re-drilling the oil cooler to accept the large
>stud, but that was scrapped as the cooler may not seal correctly.

Actuallly this isn't a problem, as I've got 8 years on mine like this. Also
the oil passages in the cooler are away from that boss.

>The fix is this ...we have found a small 6mm insert [heli-coil type]
>that will be inserted into the case and then the stock 6mm stud
>can be used.

It sounds like you guys really did your homework. Where are you finding this
insert?

>I wanted to pass this along incase any of you were thinking about
>using this case.

>thanks-

No, thank you. With more info like this, we type3ers will have more options
on engine choice, and cases. Keep up the good work, and keep us informed !

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       71 Square- now a 2 seat Roadster, under construction