[T3] weber carb question and returning to the list

I'm returning to the list after a few years absence
secondary to completing grad school and associated
obligations/time constraints.  The vwtype3.org site in
general and this list in particular assisted me in my
first air cooled rebuild (73 squareback 1600cc
performed on my kitchen table), and I look forward to
again perusing the many questions and insightful
answers that this board has to offer.

Now on to my carb question.  Some background:  Still
have the 73.  It's parked in my folks garage since I
drove it about 800 miles after the rebuild several
years ago.  Yup, I've got one of the former FI dual
port 1600cc squares.  The PO (or previous PO) had
cobbled together a weber 32/36 DFAV that sits on top
of the engine that required a nice plywood box in the
engine cover.  I was having a problem with fuel in the
crankcase (as evidenced by a gassy smell when checking
the oil level--I changed the oil whenever it started
to appear).  Changed the fuel pump to a new one, and
still was getting the gas smell.  Took a look at the
carb, my only significant adjustment was fiddling with
the idle, then took the thing apart to find a hole in
the diaphragm of the power valve.  Now, could the fuel
in the oil be caused by this hole (running from the
bowl, through the manifold, into the heads, and
eventually into the case), could it be caused by
running way too rich, or is it a completely wrong carb
application?  I know that it has the same cam in it as
when I bought it (with a blown engine--the top of one
of the pistons had begun to disintegrate and the wall
of the cylinder was very scored--possibly due to
timing?), but I can't find the number I wrote down
when I had the case split.  If I remember correctly,
the early carbed cams had a different lobe profile
than the later FI ones.  Could this be contributing?
If needed and I choose to rebuild the carb, does the
rebuild kit come with the diaphragm for the power
valve?  What else should I be looking for that I'm
missing?  I'd eventually like to convert it over to
dual carbs and go back to the flat engine cover (as
I'd rather not beat my head against the brick wall of
trying to locate correct FI components), but I'm
trying to get away with an economical and practical
alternative for now.

As before, I appreciate any responses or help.

Bryan
73 Squareback