Re: [T3] Rear Shocks Shock

On 10 Dec 2003 at 11:13, Daniel Baum wrote:

> I bought a pair of new rear shocks. They are Monroe gas shocks, catalogue
> no. 31542, which I found on the Monroe on-line catalogue.
>
> Now I'm trying to install them and they don't fit. They have a metal sleeve
> in the lower loop that protrudes at both ends, whereas on the ones I removed
> the sleeve only protrudes on one side. I have checked that they are the
> right part, both according to the cataloguem anbd the number written on the
> shock itself.

Keep in mind that the previous shocks might have been wrong. If their bushing
was a bit too short, the lower housing might have been bent a bit when the bolt
was tightened.

I read what you did, and that may work, but I seem to recall that the shock
should be centered on that bushing. If you care to, measure the length of the
old bushing and I can do the same here and we can figure out which is right.
My old 72 rear subframe is sitting in my yard right now and I can easily
measure the width of the opening where the shock fits. Of course we're supposed
to get 5" of snow this afternoon, but that won't bother this measurement.

I also have the old shocks that came out of there (OE VW type 3) that I can
measure.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org