Re: [T3] SCAM watch out

On 9 Dec 2003 at 12:38, . : orntar : . wrote:

> so i never actually was going to do it, but i had thought that i could
> skeptically have my bank wait for it to clear. could i do that or would the bank
> just deposit it and then charge me when it was found to be counterfeited?

You can deposit it, but once you send out his "change" to him, it's gone. If
the deposit comes back as bad, you still owe the WHOLE amount to the bank.

This should be a simple thing to deal with, except that I hear that it often
take 3 weeks for the bad chack notice to come back to you. By that time, most
people will have assumed that the check was good and gone ahead and forwarded
the cash and car.

I think the way to deal with this would be to ask that they do a wire transfer,
or tell them that you'll have to sit on the deposit for 6 weeks.

I wouldn't do ANYTHING without checking with my bank first, just to make sure I
was protected.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org