Re: [T3] areodynamics

On 30 Aug 2003 at 18:04, Erik Litchy wrote:

> I want to understand the areodynamics of my fastback.  why are the louvers
> where they are?  wouldnt the passing air draw air OUT?  it would almost make
> more sense for a small scoop to be there.  or am i off base?

Airflow details along surfaces are seldom what they seem, and the air right at
the surface is generally not moving all that fast. While the louvers have
pointed in different directions in different years, it really didn't seem to
make much difference to the engine, although it certainly did make a difference
to some owners who came to the same conclusions you did.

What year do you have? I can never remember when VW turned the louvers around.

A scoop would probably add some air flow to the cooling, etc, but it would also
pick up extra dirt. Once the dirt accumulates on the cooling surfaces in the
engine the net result would probably be a net loss of cooling.

The end result is that it's really nothing to worry about. It's much more
important that you make sure that all your cooling system parts are there and
working properly.