RE: [T3] MiniChamps 1:18 scale Squareback

> > I just posted some pics of my new "toy" in case people have
> not seen
> > them up close.  These little models are pretty cool and
> very detailed.
> WOW!!!
>
> I never imagined that such detail would be possible in a
> model. It's hard to
> imagine that anyone, other than the nuts who populate this
> list, would care
> enough to put this much work into it.
>
> The box says it's a 72, and the wipers park on the correct
> side for 71-3.

Actually the box and the bottom say "VW 1600 1969-1974".  The box does have
little pics of different model years.

>The
> only real detail that I see that they got wrong is the
> location of the brake
> fluid reservoir, which should be on the firewall rather than
> on the inner
> fender wall. This is strange, because it means that someone
> who actually KNEW
> these cars worked on this since this is the correct location
> for a few years
> earlier.

Yeah I noticed that too, I thought it might just be a production issue?

I just noticed something, the engine also has a blue Bosch Coil,
interesting.  I wonder what data, photos, etc. they use for these models?
Maybe they just painted it the wrong color?

>Note that the air vents in front of the windshield
> are also the early ones.
>
> I wonder if they also had a model of an earlier year, and if
> much of this was
> copied from that.

Yes, they do make an earlier model also and a Fastback and a Late Notch.

> Yes, the muffler is somewhat wrong, as is the fan housing,
> and they didn't
> quite get the door hinges right [   ;-)   ], and the engine
> sump isn't quite
> right, but just look at all the little things they DID get right.
>
> Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!

> About how long is this model? You should put something in the
> photo for scale.

That would have been a good Idea, sorry :(  The model is about 10 inches
long and about 5 inches high (guess, guess).

> Is it plastic or metal?

It is metal, plastic and rubber.  The body is metal (some alloy?) and the
rest is plastic.  The tires are rubber.

>How much does it weigh?

I'd say it weighs about 2 lbs. but I will have to check all the size and
weight data, when I get home.

>Where can I
> get one...?   ;-)

I will get you the info as soon as I go home.  I know one place is:
http://www.sportcraftcars.com/minStreetRoad.htm#volkswagen18 the number is
MIN100051010, they describe it as from 1969 but I think that is wrong.

If you click on the link you get this pic:
http://www.sportcraftcars.com/Minichamps/street/min100051010.jpg

Also check out http://www.minichamps.de and their shop page at
http://www.pma-shop.com/cgi-bin/modelart.storefront/3f4f746a00df5728273f0a50
20390611/Catalog/4102609?dan=1