RE: check out this Fastback

Jim

> > I'm converting from Stock Dual Solex's to a home made FI system for
> > tunability when racing and I need some sort of 4 into 1 that I can fit
my
> > throttle body on top of.
>
> Sounds like an interesting project, but wouldn't port injection still be
> better? If you started with the FI runners and intake air distributor you
would
> get a lot of the parts and functions you needed for "free" and it could
all be
> made to fit perhaps quite easily.

I was planning to use a set of manifolds off a late model with the twin
balance
pipes, mount the injectors in place of the pipes so they inject pretty much
down
the valves, using the Bosch Green (?) injectors from a Golf (Rabbit) G60 I
think,
as they were also reportedly fitted to lots of the bigger BMW's, a common
sight
in UK breakers.

I was looking at using some of the stock FI parts, but it seems as if they
are not
as easy to get hold of here in the UK as they are over in the USA. Parts
from broken
Fords, BMW's, Vauxhall(GM)'s are ten a penny. Fords especially ;) So I was
going to
try and source all of the parts from '80's Fords and BMW's simply because
they are cheap.
The hole ethos of my racing team is to go as fast as we can on as little
money, home
made everything is the order of the day !

> What air metering system were you planning to use?

Got my eye on a set of 48mm throttle bodies from a Suzuki GSXR750 'bike, one
mounted above, as in the picture posted earlier, to begin with, but as the
power
increases and times decrease I may have to go to one-per-side or even
one-per-cylinder.
I was going to build some sort of extension going on top of the standard
manifold
to mount my TB in the center till I saw the 32/36 carb kits, think I might
just modify
one of those now.

If you know of any good websites where I can read up a little more on FI in
general
and some of the "rules" behind it then please let me know, I'm a complete
newbie who
decided to home build a FI system because race spec, three line, Weber
48IDA's are
GBP 500 and I can build the FI system for less than that, hopefully, with a
bit of
foraging in scrap yards. The system is called MegaSquirt and you can buy the
chips
and board from some guys in the states, then you have to build a loom and
make
everything work, it's fully programmable by laptop, even whilst driving and
most people
put them on massive V8's etc, so it should be plenty for my 30 year old
1776cc VW.

By the way, the car was already half built into a race car, I didn't destroy
a perfectly
good minter of a fastback whilst doing this mad adventure ;)

If it all fails, I'll throw a set of 48IDA's or DRLA's on and look on it as
a learning
experience. It's a bit of a laugh really ! It's not going to cost a lot, so
it's worth a
play.

If anyone has any comments and/or advice then please let me know, i'm not
that clued up
on FI and everythings a bonus.

Chris