Re: [T3] HP Figures 65-73 (was carb conversion)

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 21:51, Aaron Clow wrote:
> > <russella@prairieinet.net> wrote:
> > >If he can get 200K out of a T-IV engine, I want to
> > know what he is using
> > >for valves and guides. Type 4's ate valves worse
> > than our engines.
> > >I wouldn't try to run an air cooled engine much
> > over 75K without pulling
> > >the heads.
>
> I know what VW says for maintenance, but apart from
> the normal adjusting valves & stuff, how often do you
> do more serious things like pull the heads? When you
> do this, do you usually do it *before* 75K? And do you
> replace valves & guides at this point or do you do more?

I usually recommend redoing the heads about every 60K.
Check the heads for any damage. Check the cylinder seating area. Check
for cracks around the spark plugs and valve seat. Check the spark plug
thread. Check for cracks around the exhaust ports.
I will replace the exhaust valves, and guides, regardless of what they
look like. I replace the intake valves and guides as needed. For my own
heads, I reface the intake valves, depending on their condition. I recut
the seats by hand with a 3 angle cut. I am going to get static about
this next statement, but I will not use a stone on a VW valve seat. And
as VW said at their engine schools. If you cut the valves and seats
right, you don't need to lap the valves.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT