From: "Matthew Willis" <mattwillis@mac.com>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 10:34 PM
Subject: [T3] Found a hurting Fastback...

> Hey folks.
> At the moment, the SO (Janine) and I are in the middle of our first
vacation in years. We've been driving the Squareback (Cindy) from Syracuse
up through the Adirondacks (Old Forge, Lake Placid) and are currently in
Burlington, Vermont. We've been sticking to the small roads, avoiding
interstates. The idea for this trip is to enjoy the drive - not to get there
as quick as humanly possible.

> The Squareback has been performing _beautifully_ (other than my generator
light ceasing to function as of this evening) and has been garnering smiles,
thumbs up, and horn honks all along the way. The highlight so far has been
when we all crossed Lake Champlain on the ferry, and the rest of the
passengers had a full hour to stare, smile, and ask questions.

> Ok, here's the obligatory Type 3 content:
> While driving from Lake Placid to the ferry at Port Kent we spotted a
Fastback, rotting away in a "used car sales" lot/field. It looks to be a
later model, 197x, and has quite a case of entropy. While it may be a bit
much to save and restore, it surely must have a wealth of parts to donate to
keep other Fastys going. There was no one around to chat with, but I did
take a bunch of pics, including the sign with the place's phone numbers. I'd
be calling the guy up myself, but I'm at my limit of four cars at this
point, and my apartment complex won't give me more garage space. I've
already got two. =)

> Pics are at: http://homepage.mac.com/mattwillis/PhotoAlbum7.html
>
> I was thinking it'd be a shame to let the car and it's valuable parts
continue to rot if someone had a trailer, some space, and I'd bet just a
little cash to spare.

> Well, time to get back to the vaca, and if anyone has any tips on that
genny light, let me know. It looks like it comes off the voltage regulator.
I'll obviously check the lamp itself first. =)