Re: [T3] square running!

On 26 Aug 2003 at 18:10, . : orntar : . wrote:

> She is still hard to start but runs fine after that. And it backfired a
> little while decelerating. I have checked nothing over yet, but I will
> keep everybody posted. And I need to fix the pump always on wiring too.
> I hear the relay go on and off, so I think he just bypassed it, cause he
> was tired of it not starting on a hot day.

I've seen a couple of cases where the fuel pump relay contacts get dirty/burned
and this makes for poor contact in the relay. They will run for awhile and then
heat up and get too much voltage drop across them to keep the pump running. I
finally found mine by putting a voltmeter from ground to the pump side of the
relay. I finally saw the voltage dropping one day when the engine started to
lose power. That was repeatable, and replacing the relay cured it.

Don't just replace the relay, but you might want to get a voltmeter so you can
hook it up and leave it where you can glance at it while you're driving. The
whole problem of solving intermittent problems is catching them in the act.