LONG Re: [T3] Conversion to Stock Dual Carbs?

Hi Steven (and all),

Basically, my 73 fastback has never run 100%, despite
tune ups by me and others, and lots of fiddling.  I
get about 80% of what I expect the engine could
deliver...I mean, it's no beetle buy my old '74
SuperBeetle w/ stock engine ran like a bat out of hell
compared to my Fasty. Unfortunately I've never driven
a type III that was 100% tuned (but stock), so I don't
know what "normal" feels like. :-/

What do I want out of this car? An engine that runs
well, and gives me the power I'd expect from an
aircooled 1.6L. I want 65 HP, not the 40 I feel like I
have right now.

When I initially start the car the revs go up more
than I'd like while the engine is warming up (maybe 1
minute)...then they drop back down to a proper idle
speed, but it surges a bit.  When I drive I feel a
surging as well...like a cylinder that's not firing
exactly all the time. But I've pulled/replaced the
plugs a few times in the past few years, and they
always look exactly the same/as they should...there's
no plug that's notably sootier than the others.

The only time the car accellerates as I expect it
should is when the pedal is all the way to the
floor...then it pulls consistently (no surging) and
with the power I'd expect.

The engine itself is totally stock except for a Blue
coil and BugPack header w/ single quietpack muffler.
I have replaced the manifold pressure sensor (won a
NEW one on eBay for $5 :-) and all of the fuel
injectors (think one or two were leaking, so I elected
to replace 'em all) in the past few years, none of
which made a noticeable change in the engine's
performance.

I've done so much work to this car (new interior/paint
a few years ago, new wheels/tires, TONS of welding
last summer to replace the rockers and other rusty
areas, etc.) that I just want to work the last bugs
out of the engine.  I don't really understand FI and
have more experience with VWs stock carb systems
(though admittedly I don't understand carbs SUPER well
either).

I plan on going at the engine next week with the Bosch
D-Jet manual and a volt meter, and also rechecking all
the typical tune-up adjustments.  A friend of mine and
I are also going to check the fuel pressure to rule
out the fuel pump (which may be a problem...in order
to get my car to start, I typically have to turn
on/turn off the key a few times to bring the fuel rail
up to pressure)...seems like fuel pressure/supply
could be the culprit since it performs well with the
added supply at full pedal (??).

Well, I'm ranting here...if I've said something above
that makes you think of something that I should check
(and/or ways to check it), i'd GREATLY appreciate the
info, oh esteemed and knowledgeable list members!

Thanks again,
-Doug :-)
73 Fasty

Steven wrote:
ougB=> I'm contemplating converting the fuel system
=> in my '73 Fasty to dual carbs

Well, for starters, everyone will want to know why.
The conversion is a
fairly large hassle on the scale of things, and the
best result is less
optimal than what you already have. What result are
you looking for?

=> is there a wire coming to/from the FI wiring
harness
=> that I could use to power the chokes?

No. The chokes are powered directly off the hot side
of the coil, that's
easy.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 Big Ghia