Re: [T3] Cooling tin screws

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 23:09, John Jaranson wrote:

> >Anyone know where I can get replacements? I can't seem
> >to find them anywhere...

I usually just go to my junk box and get any missing ones. But then I
have been collecting them for almost 40 years. ;+)

> They are an M6 x 1.0 screw.  Maybe 10mm long.  Look for an AV-VE-CO Products
> dealer in your area.  A good autobody shop probably stocks something close.
> We have a dealer here in the Detroit Metro area called Motor City Fasteners
> (248)399-2830.  Might try them, if you can't find anything local.
>
> I just picked up a whole pile of torx head stainless steel screws in this
> size for the next time I go through Sophy's engine.  Probably this winter.

I hope you are planning on keeping Sophy for the rest of your life. You
Detroit engineers sure like to use those torx's that the mechanic's
hate.
BTW, does anybody know that there were 2 different style screws used by
VW and there was a definite place on the engine for each?? The style
with the self tapping end was used only on tin to tin connections. The
standard syle thread was used where the screw went into threaded
aluminum. Most people on the list have probably never seen a virgin
engine that has never been down before. That was one of the clues on my
'66 that it had never been apart before.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT