Re: [T3] rear brake cylinder

On 23 Aug 2003 at 10:08, Greg Merritt wrote:

> 	Heh, so there's a trail of fluid on the inside of my RR
> wheel, running from the backing plate, inside of the rim, and down
> the tire.
>
> 	Sounds like brake cylinder time.
>
> 	Any reason why I should replace both rears?  Or should I not
> waste my time and money?

My suggestion: Buy a brake cylinder hone and pull apart both rear cylinders and
hone them in place. Clean up the innards and reinstall them; they are 98%
likely to work just fine. The problem is almost always rust in the bore which
you will hone out. Brake fluid makes a very good honing fluid, too, but wipe
out the residue before you put things back together.

Doing this is easier, faster, and cheaper than replacement, and it lasts just
as long. It has the added benefit of taking NO chance of twisting off the steel
brake line when you try to turn the line nut.

And, yes, I would do both sides while you've got it jacked up..

Remember that if you don't use silicone brake fluid you should flush fresh DoT-
3 thru your system every 2-3 years or you'll have trouble like this due to
internal corrosion.