Re: [T3] Headliner questions

<x-flowed>Thanks for the tips. And thanks again for the excellent gas tank. Right now it is the best looking part in the car!

Doug Heckaman Jr.

'69 Fasty
'75 VW Porsche 914

==
On Friday, Aug 22, 2003, at 09:30 US/Eastern, Jim Adney wrote:

On 21 Aug 2003 at 23:56, hedge wrote:

1. Is there any real difference between the JC Whitney vinyl headliners
and TMI ones?

I'm not sure. The JC Whitney one I installed seemed to have been sewn "flat"
and a little contouring sure would have helped. I don't know if the TMI ones
are any better.

2. Would it help to make any marks or measurements before I remove the
old headliner?

It might help to record or mark exactly where the original bows were installed,
but these may have to be adjusted if your new headliner is sewn differently.

3. Are new bows required?

No

Any other tips would be appreciated.

First install the headliner with the bows. I found that I had to trim the
"tubes" that the bows fit in back quite a bit to get the same fit as the OE
headliner. Then get a bucket full of spring type clothespins and clip the new
headliner edges around all the window openings. Remember that the headliner
actually goes all the way around the window edge and stops on the OUTSIDE of
the body. Cut off the excess in stages, ie leave a couple of spare inches all
around after your first trim to allow for some final adjustments.

When you are satisfied with the fit trim everything and glue starting with the
front and rear, then alternate side openings. Or you can glue first and trim
last, which I noticed they did at the factory with a razor knife. I didn't care
for this because it also cut thru the paint.

-- Jim Adney jadney@vwtype3.org Madison, WI 53711-3054 USA