From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Oil Spilling Out
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:46:14 -0500

On 21 Aug 2003 at 19:26, Gary Gamboa wrote:

> My one bad sump stud completey blew out while I was driving.
> It used to leak only a few drops after I stopped driving.
> I must have stopped right after it happened, cause about a
> quart and a half spilled out after I parked it.
>
> Could I have damaged anything other than losing
> the stud? Are there replacement studs available?
>
> Other than helicoils, is there any other fix for this?

Sounds like you were pretty lucky. It seems likely that the pulled stud is your
only problem.

I fix these with Helicoils and made a jig to do the repair. It pilots the
drill bit and the special Heli-coil tap. They can probably be done by hand if
you are careful to get everything perpendicular to the bottom of the case.

I probably have spare OE M6 studs if you need one.